Rioja Rent a Car en Costa Rica, Rent a Car en Pacifico Sur: San Vito de Coto Brus, Puntarenas
Pacifico Sur: San Vito de Coto Brus
The geographical coordinates of the half canton of Coto Brus, are given by 08 ° 53'41 "north latitude and 82 ° 54'58" west longitude.
The maximum width is forty-five kilometers in the northwest to southeast, emerging from the river Turubo, about 2300 meters west of the summit of the hill of the same name to the confluence with the river Caño Seco Creek Field Two and a half.
The territory that now is the canton of Coto Brus was inhabited by the indigenous group called the Brunca, which was the domain of coctos.
The region was discovered by Don Perafan de Ribera in 1571, when it made its journey to the southwestern part of our country and then toured the Caribbean coast.
In 1601 Don Gonzalo Vázquez de Coronado, governor of Mules opened the way to Carthage went to Panama, which was used for trade, mainly those of animals in the Portobelo Fairs; road that passed through the area Current Canton of Coto Brus.
Earlier this century living in the region between the mountains of Cañas Gordas, Don Maximiliano Peralta with his family, and Pedro Rodriguez Rebolledo. Post-conflict border with the Republic of Panama, which occurred in 1921, originated from a concern for Costa Ricans to migrate to this area for the purpose of exploiting their natural resources. The construction project of the Inter-American highway, which was planned route would cross the valley of Coto Brus, was an important factor that in 1940 many people migrated to the region, a process that has increased following the agreement signed at the international boundary 1944 between the governments of Panama and Costa Rica, as citizens of both countries emigrated to the area where settlers could only be used, in principle, to subsistence farming due to lack of roads. The cultivation of coffee began in 1949, becoming the most important agricultural product of the region, due to favorable prices that occurred after the Second World War. Following the agreement signed in 1951 between the Government of the Republic and the Italian Society of Agricultural Settlement, beginning next year, Italians began to arrive in the area, which suffered major transformation with the effort of those settlers and Costa Ricans, who promoted and carried out the development.
The first school was established in 1947 during the administration of Don Teodoro Picado Michalski, a ranch is located where the current Delegation of the Guardia Rural Assistance Sabalito, the school located in San Vito is now called Maria Auxiliadora. The school was founded in 1968, the government of Don José Joaquín Trejos Fernández, named Coto Brus Agricultural Institute, now called Regional Vocational Technical Institute of Agriculture Humberto Melloni.
The first church was built in Sabalito dedicated to Saint Joseph Patriarch. On April 8, 1953, was held in the church of San Vito on the first baptism and first marriage, celebrated by the priest Don Humberto Melloni, Italian priest of the settlers. During the archdiocese of Monsignor Don Rubén Odio Herrera, third Archbishop of Costa Rica, the parish was erected, dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes, which is currently suffragan of the Diocese of San Isidro de El General of the ecclesiastical province of Costa Rica.
In the administration of Don Francisco Orlich Bolmarich on December 10, 1965, Law No. 3598, was granted the title of villa in the town of San Vito, head of Guangzhou set up that opportunity. Later, in Act No. 4574 of May 4, 1970, promulgated the Municipal Code, article third, gave the village a city, as head of Guangzhou.
September 11, 1966 was held the first meeting of the Council of Coto Brus regidores composed of owners, José Luis Valenzuela Cordova, president, Cayetano Argüello Rojas, vice president; Vital Monge Agüero, and Ezequiel Solis Ureña. The municipal secretary was Don Albán Gómez Rivera and political boss Don Aguedo Villalobos Fonseca.
The origin of the name of the canton, in the preamble to the bill creating the same, it indicates that it was proposed by Don Germán Espinoza Jiménez, as a tribute to the chief and his tribe that populated the region for many years. In the document Aboriginal Don Carlos Costa Rica Gagini, are the meanings of both words of indigenous origin. Which indicates that Couto, coctú, or cobto Coote was a province located southeast of Quepos, which was hostile to it, which had two fortified Palenque; gift Perafan Ribera on the riverbank Cobto founded in 1571, the City Name of Jesus. Brusi in 1797 was a partial or Térraba northern Indian name which later evolved Brus, who was assigned to a valley Boruca. Coto Brus words, he gave the main river, which originates on the slopes of Cerro Pando, in the Cordillera de Talamanca, which runs through the valley of the same name, before joining the river and form the Great General of Térraba.
ADMINISTRATIVE TERRITORIAL DIVISION
Creation and Origin
Law No. 3598 of December 10, 1965, Coto Brus Canton was erected as the number eight in the province of Puntarenas, with four districts. Was appointed as head villa San Vito.
Coto Brus is from the districts of Buenos Aires and Golfito, in Act No. 185 of July 29, 1940 and Decree Law No 552 of June 10, 1949, respectively.
The canton of Coto Brus is geologically formed by materials of Tertiary and Quaternary periods, and Tertiary sedimentary rocks that dominate the region.
Tertiary period of the source rocks are sedimentary, volcanic and intrusive. The sedimentary age of Oligocene Miocene Pliocene Pleistocene and Miocene, which corresponds to the first and Training Unit Térraba Lizard; Térraba Formation consists of latitas from gray to black, partly with pyrite, siltstones Tobacco sandstones, conglomerates and turbiditic , is located south of Guangzhou from Copal village, as well as in the eastern Upper Chico River, the Lizard unit is defined as proximal facies of the turbidite, predominantly conglomerates and sandstones, with deposits of channels turbidite, which is west of the Upper Chico River, as in a small area adjacent to the confluence of the rivers and Caño Limón Bravo. The sedimentary rocks belong to the Miocene Gatun Formation, which consists mainly of some layers of sandstone and conglomerate, lignite, and some coralline facies consists of limestones and marls fossil coral, which is located from the village to the Esperanza to the south Sabanilla and for the latter to the village of Santa Clara. Sedimentary rocks of Pliocene Pleistocene epoch are Piedemonte materials that cover the largest area of Canton, located in the area of San Vito, Coto Brus town, Cerro Pando, north of the confluence of the rivers Coton and twin and the border with the Republic of Panama. The intrusive rocks of Miocene age, belongs to the acid intrusives of the Cordillera de Talamanca, such as diorites and granodiorites cuárcicas also gabbros and granites, which are located in a strip north of Coto Brus sector from the ranks Pittier and cotton. The volcanic rocks of Miocene and Pliocene Pleistocene epochs, which correspond to the first group Avocado and training Paso Real, the group is composed mainly of Avocado cast basalt and andesite, agglomerates, tuffs and gaps, located in the zone by villages Cañas Gordas, Providence, Linda Vista, and the confluence of the rivers and Salto Limon, training Paso Real, is a conglomerate consisting of pebbles or blocks of volcanic rocks as andesites and basalts, magmatic diorites are found sporadically, sandstone Tobacco tufáceas or sandstone, which lies from the village up the creek valley Garrote. The volcanic rocks of Pliocene Pleistocene epoch are composed of volcanic rocks and buildings, located on the southern slope of the hill and Pittier row cotton.
Of materials of Quaternary period, there are rocks of sedimentary origin of the Holocene epoch, such as fluvial deposits coluviales and situated on the banks of rivers Coton and Coto Brus, near its confluence.
The canton of Coto Brus has four geomorphic units, called the form of alluvial sedimentation, denudation of, origin and tectonic erosion, and volcanic.
Alluvial sedimentation unit is divided into two subunits called alluvial fans in the valley of El General and alluvial plain Potrero Grande. Subunit alluvial fans of the valley of El General, is located in the area populated by the San Ramon, San Miguel and the northern sector of Coto Brus, and the southern slope of the rows and Coton Pittier, which together constitute a union of fans, which extend to the border with Panama, the apex is situated at the foot of the Cordillera de Talamanca, its slope reaches 10 °, on the surface of the fan channels are abandoned, but the spaces are wide interfluviales, the rock fragments blocosos is represented by granite, granodiorite, gabbros, andesites and basalts within a dominant matrix of clay and sand; stuffing originated in the Cordillera de Talamanca and fell for the channels in the form of mudflows, which gradually filled throughout the valley. Subunit Potrero Grande alluvial plain, comprises a small area of Guangzhou in the vicinity of the village of Coto Brus.
Denudation of the unit is divided into two subunits called the steep slopes of southwest slope of the Cordillera de Talamanca, and very steep slopes and escarpments of erosion of the row Brunqueña. Subunit of the steep hillside slopes southwest of the Cordillera de Talamanca, is on a path that goes from line to Cerro Pando Pittier, which shows outstanding range of 6 ° to 33 °, with sectors where it is vertical, this subunit is cut by many rivers and creeks that descend into the valley, the Lomerío are rounded and narrow, the spaces are narrow peaks of interfluviales represents a dominance of intrusive rocks, sediments are generally sandstones and shales with conglomerates very weathered, and the intrusive rocks are mainly acid type, its origin is attributed to the presence of a flaw in your foot and then the erosion. Subunit very steep slopes and escarpments of erosion of the row Brunqueña, located in rows and Zapote Rock.
The unit of origin and tectonic erosion is divided into two subunits, called Cordillera de Talamanca and row Brunqueña. The first is from the hills and Turubo Buru Pittier up the hill, is characterized by deep valleys with steep slopes, narrow the boundaries are, and this subunit old rocks which includes acidic and basic intrusions and volcanics, form of the range complex to be influenced by faults and folds, like the diversity of rocks, their origin was due to a marine sedimentation occurred until the Middle Miocene, then began a climb and folding during the Middle to Upper Miocene thereafter a pluton with acidic and basic magmas rise intrusions, which is very possible that reached the Pliocene. Subunit Brunqueña row, is located in the area between the town of Aguas Claras and the confluence of the Río Coto Brus and Garrote Creek, as well as from the western sector of the town of Cruces Sabanilla to row, and the latter to the southeast of the town of High Limoncito, this subunit is oriented in accordance with the direction of stratigraphic sedimentary rocks that form, the gradient is strong with a small step from 400 to 500 meters elevation, and its drainage system is close to dendritic, poorly developed, highlighting the differences are large, and among substance valley and there are often top 100 to 200 meters, this subunit is composed of rock formations Brito Térraba, Paso Real, and also of volcanic edifices, with some intrusions, the rocks are medium-grained sandstones with thin shales and argillaceous limestones, and its origin is due to rise from the depths of the ocean, a block of crust, this block was along faults, leaning in the latter stages northeast, the modeling of fluvial erosion ended the drive, making a selection in the rocks.
The unit of volcanic origin, represented by the plateau of San Vito, is in the area covered by the towns of Sabanilla, La Union, Cañas Gordas, Campo Tres and Torre Alta. Represents a small flat area with a row Brunqueña elevation of 1,100 meters. Its surface is flat to undulating. Slopes formed by the valleys are middle slope no greater than 20 °. Interfluviales spaces are large, more than 200 meters. This unit is composed of volcanic rocks, which are highly weathered lavas and pyroclastic equal status, there are mudflows. The constitution of the rocks tend to andesitic. Its origin is that when the row emerged Brunqueña and arrived at about the height it now occupies, then the Chiriqui volcano was active and covered part of what is now Costa Rica, later erosion shaped volcanic filling .
Elevations in meters above mean sea level, from the center of the districts in the canton are: City 1009 San Vito, Villa Sabalito 900, Agua Buena Villa 1060 Villa and Limoncito 780.
The river system of the canton of Coto Brus is the Pacific slope, which belongs to the basins of the rivers Grande and Térraba Corners.
The first basin is drained by the Río Coto Brus, which originates from the confluence of the rivers and Black Chova, at first he was joining the rivers Sare, and Sabalito March. Coto Brus get into rivers and Jaba Coton La Palma, the latter will be joining the river and its tributary Basket Turubo, Cedar Buru and its tributary, the twins also rivers, Hammock, Bella Vista, and its tributary Cotito Sura; and the Limón River and its tributaries and Salto Chico. These rivers are born in Canton on the slopes of the Cordillera de Talamanca and the row Brunqueña, which have path northeast to southwest, southeast to northwest, and east to west. Rivers Canasta, and Coton Turubo are limits to the canton of Buenos Aires.
Esquinas River Basin is irrigated by the river Caño Seco, born of the confluence of the River and Agua Buena Bonita Creek, who was joined Camp Creek two and a half, and the river corridors and tributaries of the ravines Salitre and Cantarrana. These rivers originate in the region and presents a direction from north to south. Streams Campo Dos y Medio, Salitre and Guangzhou are limits to the Corridor.